This is self-care awareness week, this year is “Choose Self Care for Life”
So what exactly is self-care?
I regularly discuss with client’s the importance of self-care and what to do to help improve it.
Self-care is about taking time out for yourself. Eating well, quality sleep, staying hydrated and exercising. We need to stay fit and healthy for both our physical, mental and emotional health.
It is about considering our needs so we are in a better place to help others.
Good self-care helps to reduce stress and anxiety and puts your mood in a better place.
I often refer to it as topping up your battery. If your battery become too low life becomes much harder. You become stressed, anxious, less focused, your sleep pattern becomes affected and your mood can change and become low.
Here are some of my suggestions.
- Find time for yourself to do hobbies or interests you enjoy and help you relax.
- Walking in nature, painting, writing, creating, reading, listening to music, exercise class, cinema, meeting up with family or friends
- Get support if you need it
- Be kind speak to yourself like you would your best friend
- Accept who you are
- Stop saying ‘yes’ to everything it’s okay to say ‘no'
- Slow down
- Switch off electrical devices by a certain time each day or have a few evenings technology free
- Pop ‘me time’ in your calendar so that it reminds you and make it happen
Things I enjoy doing
- I have become good at recognising and knowing when I need to put the ‘road humps’ in to help slow me down.
- I am a big fan of food prepping and cooking, I really enjoy doing this. So when I am busy I have food ready or in the freezer
- Exercise has always been important for me, walking, running, pilates and barre concept keep me happy and fit.
- Taking time to reading books or magazines or catching up with friends and family with lots of laughter.