This week we mark National Stress Awareness Day. Wednesday 7th November 2018.
Stress is our body’s way of responding to any sort of demand or threat. When you sense danger real or otherwise your body goes into fight or flight mode. Known as the stress response it is your body’s way of protecting you.
Stress is difficult to avoid as we all lead such busy lives. We all deal with stress in different ways and we need a certain amount. When stress continues over a longer period of time it can become an issue and starts to affect our bodies in other ways. Digestion can become compromised. Our immune system which over time can become reduced resulting in more colds and coughs or frequent illness. Hormone disruption, headaches, low mood, sleep difficulties, panic attacks, anxiety, IBS, low energy, aches, pains and difficulties concentrating may be signs of high levels of stress.
This is why it is so important to take some time out to relax and unwind the mind and body. Helping to relieve stress tension held in the body.
I talk about this a lot with client’s and here are some of my suggestions to help reduce stress:-
- Regular exercise is great go out for a walk, releasing those feel good endorphins
- Take a bath, great for relaxing muscles
- Read a book or listen to music
- Pop essential oils into a diffuser
- Do something creative
- Catch up with friends for talking and laughter
- Reduce your time screen switch off by a certain time or turn them off completely a day a week
- If not being organised stresses you out plan ahead. A wonderful tip that was given to me was plan backwards. If there is a birthday coming up decided which date you will do present shopping, food purchasing, cooking etc.
- Don't try and do everything on your 'to do' list, look at what is most important to get done and do that. I knew a woman with 7 children and she always did the most essentials and didn't worry about the rest.
- Sometimes it helps to change the way you think Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) may be worth looking at.
- Remember you will never please everyone.
- Try and stay in the moment, and enjoy life.
- Get plenty of sleep
- Book a reflexology treatment
Things can get rather full on this time of year, so plan well, prioritise and delegate.